Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Taking My Gloves Off

This post is dedicated to roommate #1, who has indured similar pain over the last week.

I hate group projects. I hate that they make me hate people that I wouldn't normally notice, let alone want to punch in the head because they're so damn stupid and worthlessly lazy. Sure, I can be both of those things too, but I try not to inflict them on others.
Especially when their grades are at stake. The College of Nursing at NYU requires that students earn an 80% or better to pass all nursing courses. Most of the time, this policy seems to affect how strong the curve is or how easy the tests are rather than how hard we have to work. But again, I must protest to others deciding what grade I'm going to earn by how lazy, and stupid, they want to be.

My group's project is on sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is when you can hear your grandpa snoring tortuously all the way across the house. The reason he sounds so tortured is because his throat is closing and he's not breathing for 10 seconds or more at a time. It's also the reason he dozes in the laziboy all day, because the lack of oxygen and the gasping for breath all night causes disturbed sleep and fatique. Well, our nursing instructor wanted a poster out of us. A research poster. Because I am so obsessed with Adobe Illustrator, and also because I am a bit controlling, I decided to take over the poster assembly and leave the research to my group. In retrospect, it was a mistake- partly because it would've taken a fraction of the time to look up a couple articles instead, but mostly because I discovered how pathetic and lazy and stupid most people really are. One of the group members, let's call him Bamadulah Bazamy, pulled the blank document trick. He sent a totally blank document with an apology for sending it late. Amazing. I never got the real document. I made the poster without his blank document.

My roommate #1 endured worse. She thought she was better off because she got help with the glueing. Glueing does suck. And I was jealous that she had a little glue gnome working for her. But then she realized that her pathetically stupid, and worthless, group member/glue gnome (we'll call her Trixy Finion) glued the poster together wrong.

So group projects. How about them.


1 comment:

Catalonic said...

These stories make me more and more confident in the quality of nurses who will some day be snaking tubes down my throat, or worse, through another orifice.
Luckily, I´m blessed with the best nurse of the bunch to do all the inserting in the comfort of my own home.