Monday, December 12, 2005


Can a day progress well after waking up and finding that your hard drive has been corrupted?

I asked myself this in the shower today at 6:12 a.m. My computer was protesting the long hours and many files I have imposed upon it over the last few days. The first final of my 15-month career at NYU College of Nursing was scheduled for 8:00 a.m. this morning, and I suppose it was greedy of me to think I could get one more hour out of my not-so-trusty iBook before the exam. I held it on my lap from 6:00 to 6:09 a.m. while the start-up wheel turned and turned in vain. I would have been much more furious had my roommate #2 not been there distracting me, puffy eyed and glowing, with her story of her boyfriend's proposal and other events that happened over the weekend.

By 6:41, I had David McCartney on the phone walking me through my last hope of a resurrection...to no happy outcome. I sulked with my thermos of Stumptown all the way down 2nd Ave in the snow while my roommate #1 tried to re-focus my attention on our quickly approaching final.

It wasn't until 1:45 p.m. that an Apple "Genius", or should I say Jesus, saved my ass and maybe a bit of my pesimistic soul. I am eating popcorn now, drinking Stella, and listening to George Bush smirking about our hospitable country. It's back to work and I do feel relieved that I haven't lost a week's worth of information on sleep apnea and aphasia. But I don't know, has my day progressed well?

No comments: