Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Releasing Pressure





This Christmas I plan to delight friends and family with my novice adventures in canning. My aspirations are to make it appear as though a jar of tomato sauce that has sat in a pressure canner (that I have never used) for two hours is indeed a gift. I realized that the unexpectedness of the whole foray into canning might cause a bit of confusion and I have to admit I did worry that the result would be more frightening than delightful. At one point my roommate #1 caught me in a moment of concern as I held my stethescope up to the exterior of the canner, listening for sounds of...canning.



Before I went to bed I shut off the burner. I watched as the pressure gauge slowly ticked down toward zero. My jars of spicy tomato sauce had survived the turbulent first time adventure in canning. They now proudly wear the labels you see above.

The Conclusion:

Canning takes forever and causes anxiety that is disproportionate to the end product. So please, if you find a jar of Lyndsey's under the tree, understand that it is not a lump of coal but a labor of you know what.

No comments: