Friday, December 30, 2005

A Beautiful Mountain


Lately I've been dreaming of skiing. There's someone in my life that seems to help make all my dreams come true, and yesterday I got to ski (with my beautiful new skis) for the first time in 4 long years.

We woke up in a cozy cabin before dawn and drank a pot of french press coffee while piling on our layers.

The sun rose over our drive to Mt. Bachelor.

Fresh snow covered the road to the lodges.

And the sunrise followed us all the way there.

We skied for three hours until my legs felt like jello and then stopped for lunch at the upper lodge overlooking the ski lifts. It had started to snow, but we didn't stop until a few hours later when I became too tired, or lazy, or both, to get off the ski lift. As I missed the unloading point and rounded back toward the slopes, I really thought about riding it all the way down and calling it quits.

I love skiing.