Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Last Day of Class!

Roughly 15 months ago, I boarded a Jet Blue flight in Portland with 2 overweight suitcases and landed in nursing school.


My first nursing friend was Emily. This was back in the dark days before we had ever had a clinical, and months before we became roommates.



Now we're practically done. Looking back, here is my short list of things I will miss (read, not bring with me into my new life as a real nurse) about nursing school:

-Purple polyester scrubs. Above you see Emily ironing on her NYU patch. The patch I will really really miss. Especially since I only wore mine for about 3 months.

-Studying nursing interventions for 100 of the worst illnesses and then fearing that I have contracted every one of them.

-Class in a Regal Cinema! I have to hand it to our dean for arranging free admission to the Union Square Regal Cinema for 95 nursing students every Wednesday in order to attend "class" because NYU ran out of large classrooms. Yeah, I saw a lot of movies that term.

-Practicing inserting foley catheters, drawing blood, and suctioning tracheostomies on a dummy. It was fun, but it's just not the same thing as doing it to a real person that can squirm and yelp.

-Signing "student nurse" next to my name on patients charts.

-Power point.

-Remembering the answer to a test question based on an episode of ER that I recently watched.

There are many more things I will bringing with me. For instance, beans n' beer nights, my beautiful black littman stethescope (stolen from work and gifted by my mother), a love of drug handbooks, and all the nursing knowledge that I don't yet have.

No comments: