Sunday, December 10, 2006

Curtains Closing

The last week of nursing school begins tomorrow. It looks like I have been working very hard, but that was last week. This week is the savor-it-don't-stress-it week.

A few days ago I accepted a position as a registered nurse in a large, well-respected teaching hospital in New York. I am excited to become a real professional nurse and have all the responsibilities and benefits that come with it, but what I'm really peeing my pants about is not having to solicit myself anymore. No more interviews, no more buttoned collars, no more thick cotton paper for my resumes, no more phone calls and faxes to overwhelmed nurse recruiters. It feels good.

There are other impending endings/beginnings. The dorm life experiment will soon come to a close. I used to romanticize this aspect of college when I went the first time and had to live in spacious apartments with full-sized kitchens, a double bed, and adults with normal lives as my neighbors. Well, maybe not the normal lives part. Anyway, another impression of dorms quickly replaced the imaginary one when I moved into a closet-sized place that looked like the set off of Dark Water (2005 Jennifer Connelly movie that I didn't see because the previews scared me so badly). 15 months and 3 dorms later, I'm pretty sure I'm done with this chapter.

No comments: