Monday, November 13, 2006

What Is: Nursing School

Nursing school is an elusive experience. A year ago, I thought the disjointedness of the program was a byproduct of the larger-than-ever class sizes and the new distinction of being a College of Nursing, instead of a lowly "division" at NYU. Then the second and third semesters came and went, and I felt a little duped. I have learned to act like a nurse, to talk like a nurse, and to defend the nursing profession from the media stereotypes and the oppression of the medical community; but mostly, I have learned to put up with a lot of inadequate lectures about life-threatening conditions that I will be responsible for catching when I start practicing in less than 3 months. I feel like I don't know anything, but apparently that's not a problem.

There is a shortage of nurses in the United States. A big one. By the year 2020, it is projected that the shortage will grow to 1 million nurses. An estimated 120,000 nursing positions are currently vacant in hospitals alone (see AACN Nursing Shortage Fact Sheet). Despite my anxiety about finding a job, I know there will be one (or many) out there for me come January. If these weren't the conditions though, I would feel like a pretty poor candidate. We have supposedly completed over a thousand clinical hours in this program, but because of sneaky projects and papers that somehow count toward the tally, we probably only have a few hundred actual patient-contact hours under our belts. I am not ready to be responsible for 6 - 10 patients. Then again, I'm probably more ready than a lot other new graduates, but that's not much comfort.

Today in class, we filled out an exit survey rating our experience and the quality of our nursing education. I wish there had been a box to tell them that what I really got out of the program, and paid dearly for, is a ticket to enter the profession. While the state schools are creating lottery systems and complicated waitlists for qualified applicants to enter their understaffed nursing programs, NYU is doubling class sizes for those who are willing to pay the tuition. Sure, I still took my anatomy classes and jumped through the right hoops to get accepted, but unfortunately I have no sense of pride about the education I've received over the one I would have had to wait for had I stayed in Oregon. It just wasn't that good, and I feel a little guilty that my resume will hold more clout over one from a graduate of a public school based on NYU's reputation, and not my superior preparation I've recieved

7 comments:

NoellieBellie said...

Don't sell yourself short. You rock. And you'll learn more in the first week on the job than anyone else at any other school can learn in their hands on experience in school. It just cost you more, that's all. ;)

Catalonic said...

What's more, NYU provided the opportunity to wear those delicious purple scrubs as a perfect compliment to the white clogs. Is that not worth the extra money? You're damn right it is.

Lyndsey Medora said...

Thanks guys. I'll be sure to thank you both in the acknowledgment section when my nursing memoir is released. That's not a joke.

Anonymous said...

you don't have to thank me in the memoir, but i certainly expect to be mentioned. in fact, i should probably be quoted.

Anonymous said...

Medora, in my dreams nurses don't wear those shoes but high heels.
But you know i'm retarded.

Anonymous said...

george, you should go to chile for any anticipated hospitalizations then...apparently, nurses there really do wear high heels. despite this heresay, i wouldn't count on any of them looking like the nurses in your dreams...

Anonymous said...

lynds i think that you know it all happens for a reason... HO LEE SHIT! why is that chair next to that patient put together like that?!!! those things ALWAYS fall apart! that is some risky poopin' goin' on!