Friday, January 06, 2006

L.A. Half-Weekly


Trying my best to spend a large portion of my winter break in airplanes, I flew to L.A. this morning after only 2 days in New York. I arrived to 82 degree weather at Bob Hope international airport, and with Tears For Fears being piped outside the terminal, I didn't mind hanging around waiting for my ride.

Anna, friend of 11 years, lives in a relatively interesting area of L.A. called Silver Lake. There are supposed to be hipsters hanging around the neighborhood man-made lake, but unless the kids with mullets in their convertibles count, I have yet to see one. Her apartment is spacious and relaxing with a comforably distant view of downtown.

Overall, L.A. is a land of plenty. Plenty of cars, plenty of garbage, plenty of drinking, plenty of sun, plenty of skin, plenty of celebrities. Anna's boyfriend, son of Sonny Crockett, is at the very least a celebrity by association himself. When Slander, his raucous rock band, takes off I'm sure his status will be quickly elevated. But despite riding on the cusp of fame, Jesse was humble and generous enough to show me all around his city and even let me pilot his car (it was a privledge not a favor). I was also introduced to his mother, Ms. Patti Darbanville, who is the most entertaining woman I have met in a long long while. She is the inspiration for a Cat Stevens song, former actress on the Sopranos, and fantastic story teller. I pay homage to her gracious mention of my blog's namesake, Bili Rubin, in connection with her laborious pregnancy.

And that's all for day 1 of L.A. half-weekly. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

George said...

Hei the photos on this blog are great! Ok maybe i would have expected a better "new year countdown" rather than David with a Tie.. but i have appreciated the creativity. Keep taking photos!

Anonymous said...

hey there. wonderful description of how all of this mess out here really strikes you....I have only only a coulple of corrections for the blog (unless you intended one of them this way) So, D.J.'s character's name in Miami Vice is SONNY CROCKETT. and my mother has an i instead of a y at the end of Patti. I don't know how you would know these things so I thought I would offer a friendly correction. It was lovely spending time with you out here and thank you for the band plug.
JJ

Lyndsey Medora said...

Nice try George, but David with a Tie is as far in the countdown as you get to see. Thanks for the compliment though. I'm flattered.

Lyndsey Medora said...

Oops, I did not intend those mistakes Jesse. My apologies. Damnit. Sorry. I'm going to fix those now.