Sunday, April 09, 2006

Learning to Nurse


Most people are surprised to hear that there's a College of Nursing at NYU. I think it would be more surprising to see how it is that we learn to nurse.

Look quick though. We'll will be done in 8 months, and then released in hospitals across New York and the nation. We'll take our knowledge of obsolete devices like the Sengstaken-Blakemore tube (the upside-down, uni-testicular, balloon-phallus pictured above), and head out to soothe the ailments of our critically ill patients.
















The longer I sit in classrooms, preparing for exams I need to pass to become a nurse, the less I understand the connection to my future patients. Just yesterday I inserted a foley catheter for the first time into a real patient's penis (it is a complete accident that all my examples here are related to male genitalia). I wondered, as I inflicted my lack of experience on the poor man, whether or not nursing has progressed so much since the education moved out of the hospital and into the classroom.


Nurses used to train exclusively in hospitals. I'm not advocating its return for the current curricula, I just feel detached spending so many more hours in a desk than in my scrubs. Soon, a bachelor's degree will become the minimum amount of training required to become an RN. Hell, I'll have two degrees when I start my first job as a nurse, but gentlemen, would that make you feel more comfortable as I approached you with the catheter tubing?

7 comments:

George said...

what is that rubber banana with the red tube and white ball attached? and how it is useful for?

Anonymous said...

just keep up yer drinkin and you might wake up with one of those things inserted into your esophagus in an attempt to stop the uncontrollable bleeding of ruptured varices...it's complicated.

Lyndsey Medora said...

You mean the upside-down, uni-testicular balloon-phallus? Let blogger take a stab at it.

The red tube is inserted through the mouth and into the stomach. Then the two balloons are inflated. The white round balloon anchors it between the stomach and the esophagus so it can't be pulled out. The long yellow balloon pushes against the walls of the esophagus to stop bleeding caused by "varisces," or sores. So you can look forward to having the upside-down, uni-testicular balloon-phallus down your throat if bleeding sores call for it.

Now the real question is what kind of pervert came up with it.

George said...

uhh.. quite impressive. That's why i haven't followed my partents steps into medicine. But maybe i will need one when i'll be drunk in NY next year! :)

Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://dnwngmot.com/pumr/teqk.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://lcswjjfi.com/nfsw/ltsw.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Good design!
My homepage | Please visit

Anonymous said...

Thank you!
http://dnwngmot.com/pumr/teqk.html | http://toyctsjz.com/udjt/nyqd.html